More ‘Clem Head’ doodles this weekend. I’m using lots of pink, coral and magenta it just keeps happening. I went to 1shot‘s web site (below) they have all the colors I need. I was worried… “How I’m gonna mix that color”.
I don’t know if i can go full plaid, maybe if I had this machine. I might try to replicate this ‘water transfer printing technique’ with one of the Clem heads, thin paint and a bucket.
Stole this off 1shot.com‘s site. I think I can find the colors I need.
Murph stopped by yesterday He added the red one to his collection, then set me this picture. He now owns three dog heads, more info about them here. Seven heads were cast in the first run, Five have been painted, one is in LA, one is in my living room and Murph has the rest. Congratulations!
From Murph’s instagram: mowsecafe Drooling over the latest addition to my art collection. Here we have sculptures of the wee doggie Clem (red version is the new one). Was lucky enough to spend some time with the artist and found we had some real parallels in our history, while both being very different. I’m often captivated by other artists and how they operate and manage their workflow. Work by Alex F. The short of it is, that, I’m an artist as well as a collector. If I can afford to collect and support artists; there’s no doubt, that you can too!!
Murph is a painter and collector, check out this FB and keep up with his instagram
Just painting and planning, painting the last thee dog heads and planning the next iteration of sculptures/ paintings. Maybe giant dog head maybe giant kangaroo? Or tiny collectible dog dolls. Everything is on the table right now.
With the outer shell done (plaster around pink silicone) I made the first casting. The gary head is the plastic casting (copy), the white one is the original sculpted (modeling clay) head, and the pink is the silicone negative.
This is my first pour, I need to practice, a few thin spots and air bubbles.
Starting the mold (mould) from the sculpture.
Finished the left eye and nose, then started the mould process. I was nervous at first, I always thought that the original sculpture would be trash if you didn’t make the mould just right (that’s for plaster moulds), but after the first layer was dry I was hooked. I think (cross fingers) that this will be a good first test and I can then start scaling up.
First pour of silicone
I will let it cure overnight and apply another coat of smooth-on 5050 in the morning. So far easy to work with and i like the pink on white I can see the high/strong and low/weak points.
Clem is waiting for the first mold pour before she approves anything, Clem is on the left.
Third pour now with registration points, and dams to fill weak spots.
The ‘Clem Head’ is almost ready, I used scrap clay to make terraces around the eyes and nose areas (lots of detail low thickness). Registration pieces were cut from bits of foam insulation, but i will be using left over silicons bits in the future, the foam ripped holes and have escaped.
I made a Mother mold
Mother mold made out of plaster, it’s a simple two part mold, next time I’ll make it lighter and maybe more sections. I didn’t put too much (none) thought into the back.
Very excited about this part. After 4 days I wanted to see how the original sculpture would fare.
The original came out trouble free. The original is made out of Plastilina clay and popped out without the use of any demoulding spray.
Putting the parts together Starting the casting process mother mold together with the silicone mold, and the an after thought backplate.
The backplate, cork and elastic… will it work?
After twirling the plastic mix (smooth-on) around for 7-14 minutes. I remove backplate and peek inside. This is my first time doing this so I have no idea if this is right…
After demolding I am so happy at this point. Sculpture (pink) original (white) and first cast (grey).
It is late at night but i press on and make 7 castings. Clem Heads are ready to paint.
The next morning Clem joins me and checks out the work, she even poses so i can do a comparison, thanks Clem.
Update: The Giant Maggie head
I have a lot of work to do and can’t wait to get back to it. I have to finish the pieces for the May, Hive Gallery show first, and then it’s back to giant dog heads. Below is the incomplete Giant Dog head with coins for scale.