Posted on

Cardboard head

Dire wolf head for the wall. I started with my dog as a model, and tried to keep it simple. Also keeping supplies simple: a pencil, a box cutter, t square, Elmer’s glue and some scotch tape.
– I quickly sketched my dog, Maggie’s profile. In the picture below you can see it cut out.

20130822-104542.jpg
I used the two profilesI cut to guide the build. Internal supports where added to so pieces could be built independently them jointed after they where ridged.

20130822-105020.jpg
This is the the head now, I plan to smooth and paint while maintaining a very square profile. I would love to hear and comments or links to your mask, helmet, trophy sculpture.

20130822-105656.jpg

day 2:
Ok I said simple right well I thought about it an decided to smoothen out the seams and that led to tubes of acrylic/silicon and then tubes of 100% acrylic.

20130901-163636.jpg
And on day 3: I adde the acrylic and started to really add some shape.

20130901-164008.jpg
Clay, plasi-clay
I added 5lbs of plastic clay to the cardboard/silicone head. Two days of working the clay I feel like it’s getting there.

20130904-125724.jpg

Haven’t been able to get back to work on the head. Looking forward to finishing up and start the mould process.

Update….

I have been working on the head, added lots of clay building the neck up and adding fur texture around the face and collar. I have also started 4 new cardboard pieces, at The Sis and Moon Gallery.